black tie attire
[blak tahy uh-tahyuh r]
Black tie clothes are elegant garments that people wear to special occasions. Tuxedos and long gowns are required for this nighttime dress code. Fabrications include silk, wool, and taffeta.
- For men: A tuxedo with black dinner jacket, and pants with a silk side stripe and lapels, black bow tie, with a white dress shirt, cummerbund. A sophisticated black suit set is appropriate. Can also be in a navy color. Add a pair of black patent tuxedo shoes to finish the look. Accessories can include bowtie, pocket square, cufflinks, and suspenders.
- For women: A ball gown, or evening gown in black, or other colors. The idea for women is that the dress be floor length. The fanciest of heels are required. Accessories can include a matching clutch bag, shoulder wrap, and fine jewelry.
- For gender neutral: A black or navy tuxedo with an elevated white top. Heels or patent black tuxedo shoes are appropriate.
- Modifier adjective: formal attire
- “Cinderella’s godmother assured her that her gown for the ball was black tie appropriate.”